Monday, October 31, 2011

BLOG CHALLENGE DRY EMBOSSING

This weeks challenge on the a muse|studio challenge blog was posted by Carla, and her challenge is the technique of dry embossing.



a muse|studio has a lot of really fun embossing plates, and I decided to really stretch myself this time and see how complex I could get with the embossing plates.

I started out using the snow globe die, and cut the snow globe glass out of Winter Sky card stock and the base from French Roast Woodgrain card stock with my Big Shot.

I set the Woodgrain base aside for later, and worked on the top of the snow globe. I used the tiny dot side of the custom impression plate tiny dots/medium dots and ran the snow globe top through the Big Shot using the thicker of the embossing pads. I then took my sanding block and lightly sanded over the top of the snow globe dots, to reveal the white core...I love that all our card stock has a white core and when you emboss and sand it it makes your project look wonderful! But I didn't stop there, even though it looked very cool......for my next step, I took the snowflake/candy cane impression plate and positioned the snowflakes at the top of my snow globe and ran that through my Big Shot using the thinner of the embossing pads.....now I lost a little of the embossing on the tiny dots, but they still stood out a bit

Using my finger or you could use a sponge dauber, I rubbed some Winter Sky ink over the embossed snowflakes.....then took my Quickie Glue Pen and applied glue to random dots and random parts of the snowflakes and applied Diamond Glitter for the snowy effect.

It was looking pretty good at this point! I thought with the snowy effect, I needed to put a snowman in my scene and the snowman from the Holiday Tags set was the perfect size! I stamped him with Momento Ink, Tuxedo Black on the snow globe and on a small piece of Sugar card stock. On the snowman stamped on the Sugar card stock, I colored in his scarf, carrot nose and hat using Tombow markers and cut him out, minus the twig arms. I then attached him over the stamped snow man on the snow globe with a sure of 3D foam. A little more Diamond glitter using the Quickie Glue Pen on the hat and scarf, and he was styling!!!

Using a Eucalyptus card base I attached the snow globe and the base with 3D foam and stamped the saying "Winter Joy" also from the Holiday Tags set in the lower right corner of the card with Momento Tuxedo Black ink. And my creation was complete!

Hope you enjoyed my little dry embossing card......if you would like to order any of these a muse|studio products, or would like to hostess a party, please contact me and I would be happy to help you. All of these products can be found in my online store here or you can email me here.

2 comments:

  1. Tobey - I haven't really been tempted by the snow globe in the holiday catalog, but your design here is a-DOR-able! The first I've seen that I thought "hmmmm, maybe I need to pick it up" (and Christmas is already over!). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should so do it! you won't be sorry, better get it before the catalog expires too! treat yourself for the new year! I am thinking of using it for birthday cards, valentines......lots of possibilities!!

    ReplyDelete